Summer’s quickly approaching! As you head out with the family to baseball or soccer games, the Zoo and your favorite parks, avoid traffic by knowing which roads will be under construction in Kansas City this summer.
Kansas City Road Construction This Summer
According to MoDOT and KSDOT, the following Kansas City roads will have construction into June and beyond.
Plan your Trip with the Kansas City Scout
Before you head out to drive around the Kansas City Metro, or even across the state(s), check out Kansas City Scout first. They provide great links and information so you can prepare for, and plan, your trip.
Check out Kansas City Scout.
Driving with Caution through Road Construction
If you do get caught driving through construction areas, it’s important to slow down and drive carefully. If your car is under stress in the midst of a construction zone (yes, cars get stressed in construction traffic), watch out for overheating. If your car does begin to overheat, turn on your car’s heater. This will cool the engine and prevent your car from a breakdown in construction traffic. Just roll down your windows to avoid personally overheating!
If your vehicle gets too hot, or you’re not sure what “too hot” means for your car, give us a call and we’ll advise you over the phone. If your situation sounds like you’re in danger, we’ll come get you and tow your car to our shop.
Program Sallas into your phone now! For our Kansas City Auto Repair shop, call 816-765-6060 or our Overland Park Auto Repair Shop at 913-381-4555.
Once your home and out of construction, we think it is a good idea to inspect your tires for any nails.
Jackson County, MO Road Construction
- I-670: Bridge maintenance will close a lane of east and westbound I-670 between I-35 and Main St from 930 am to 3 pm May 13-Sept 9
- Sterling Avenue: Bridge work on I-70 above Sterling Avenue will restrict Sterling at times from May 13 to August 31.
- I-70: Bridge work on Sterling Avenue and Route 40 bridges on I-70 will restrict traffic to two lanes on eastbound and westbound I-70 and close ramps from Sterling Avenue to Route 40 through August. Westbound Route 40 ramp to I-70 will close through August 31. Eastbound Route 40 ramp to I-70 will close through June 18.
- Route 40: Bridgework will close the ramp from eastbound Route 40 to I-70 from May 7 through June 18.
- Route 40: Bridgework will close the ramp from westbound Route 40 to I-70 from May 7 through August 31.
- I-670: Bridge removal and replacement will close the Broadway Bridge over I-670 from 9 a.m. through early September.
- I-435: DDI construction will close a lane of east and westbound Front Street between Route 269 and I-435 from April 26-July 15.
- I-670: Utility work will close a lane of eastbound I-670 between I-35 southbound and Central Street from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. through Sept 21, 2011.
- I-435: Shoulder work will restrict traffic on northbound and southbound I-435 between Route 78 and Stadium Drive from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. westbound and to 6 p.m. eastbound through Nov. 1, 2011.
- I-70: Bridge deck rehabilitation will close the left lane of westbound I-70 between Van Brunt Boulevard and Woodland Avenue through mid-spring. Subsequent phases of the work will open the left lane and close the center lane, then eventually the right lane and maintain two lanes of traffic through August 1.
- Route 150: Blasting operations performed daily will close east and westbound Route 150 between Route D and Andrews Road for no more than 15 minutes each day between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. through June 15. Traffic will be stopped via a rolling road block until the roadway is cleared and dust settles (approximately 15 min.). In addition, traffic at Prospect Ave/Thunderbird Rd. at Route 150 will be detained during this operation.
- Route 24: Resurfacing will close a lane of Route 24 in either direction between Route 224 and Twyman Rd from April 27- Sept. 1.
- Route 78: Utility work will close a lane of Route 78 in either direction between Truman Road and Route 7 from 7 a.m .to 5 p.m. through July 5.
- Route W: Bridgework will reduce traffic to one lane on east and westbound Route W in a head-to-head configuration between Troost Ave. and Blue River Road beginning at 8 a.m. through September.
Get an updated list of Kansas City, MO Road Construction Plans.
Johnson County, KS Road Construction:
- I-435 – During the bridge painting of the structural steel work will require varying lane closures which will reduce northbound or southbound I-435 to one open lane at a time (two lanes will be closed). The lane reductions will take place overnight between 7:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. Monday through Friday. Ramps will remain open throughout the project duration. Project work is scheduled to be completed in mid-July 2011.
- Johnson Drive – Eastbound and westbound Johnson Drive will be placed side by side, one lane in each direction on the side of the bridge that is not under repair (westbound side will be repaired first followed by the eastbound side). Also, eastbound Johnson Drive to southbound I-435 turn movement will be restricted during morning and afternoon rush hours (6:00-8:00 a.m. and 4:00-6:00 p.m.) throughout the project duration. A marked detour will be provided. Project work is scheduled to be completed in mid-July 2011
- K-7 – Before morning rush hour, northbound and southbound K-7 traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction and placed on the new northbound lanes over the new interchange bridges, so crews can complete construction work on the new southbound lanes. This closure will be in place through late fall 2011.
- Clear Creek Parkway – before morning rush hour, access to/from the east on Clear Creek Parkway from K-7 will be closed for construction work on the new bridge that will span over K-7 at Clear Creek Parkway. The east leg of Clear Creek Parkway will not reopen to direct access to K-7; instead this east leg will travel over the new Clear Parkway Creek Bridge when finished.
- Johnson Drive to Southbound K-7 – Johnson Drive access to and from southbound K-7 will continue to remain closed for construction work on the east side of the interchange project. During the Johnson Drive closure, drivers will continue to detour via 47th Street to Silverheel Street to Woodsonia Drive (blue detour route) or use the Silverheel Street spur located via Clear Creek Parkway south of the interchange project as an additional detour route (purple detour route). Project work is scheduled to be completed mid-2011
- 55th Street to Northbound/Southbound K-7 – before evening rush hour, access from northbound (to remain closed) and southbound K-7 to 55th Street and from 55th Street to northbound (to remain closed) and southbound K-7 will be closed so crews can complete construction work on the new southbound lanes. Project work is scheduled to be completed in early to mid-June 2011
- US – 69 – Southbound traffic will be shifted side by side with northbound traffic on the new northbound lanes from just past 87th Street to 103rd Street for pavement reconstruction work. Project work is scheduled to be completed in November 2011.
- US-69 & 95th Street Interchange – the southbound US-69 and 95th Street interchange on- and off-ramps will close for reconstruction work on southbound US-69. Project work is scheduled to be completed in November 2011
- 95th Street – eastbound and westbound 95th Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction from Switzer Road to Blue Jacket for bridge and resurfacing work. Project work is scheduled to be completed in November 2011. Eastbound 95th Street will be shifted to the left to run side by side with westbound 95th Street traffic over the US-69 bridge. Project work is scheduled to be completed in August 2011
Get a full list of Kansas road construction plans.